Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vitrual Lunar Observation- VLO and the "Tale of Two Cities" ----- Sparks, Nevada and Hamburg, New York

Well its been rather quite on the "Drive-by Astronomy Outreach" front due to the less than "Stellar" summer weather we've had lately.
So to fill the gaps and to have my fix of astronomy related activities I've hooked up recently with my astronomy blogger pal and we have joined astronomy forces for three fun and laugh filled sessions of Virtual Lunar Observing(VLO) from two cities approximately 2000+ miles apart: Sparks, NV and Hamburg, NY.

Here's the guy that started it all on June 27, 2009 initially with his LNF's (Lunar News Flashes) delivered to my Blackberry. The "The Man"... "The Legend of Astronomy Outreach" in Sparks, Nevada... aka the "Sidewalk Universe Guy", a guy I call "il mio amico di astronomia"-- Richie "When the Moon Hits your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie" Smith.
Here's his fun blog: http://sidewalkuniverse.blogspot.com/

I believe he was doing some day time lunar observing and was providing me a selenic (related to the moon and not the chemical element Selenium) blow by blow account of his telescopic bobbing and weaving across La Luna's illuminated face.

Here's two of his LUNAR NEWS FLASHES : "Our on site reporter SUG reports to us of a awesome display of Lunar landforms and features in the little talked about Sinus Asperitatis the so called"Gateway to Tranquility". Nectaris doesn't have to steal the show all the time!
Because of a favorable lunar tilt crater Humboldt was sighted on the extreme edge of the moon with ponding and the multipeak central mountain range in view of our reporter - he also reports that the far rim is lit up brightly under the high lunar sun.
LUNAR NEWS FLASH: We now have sunrise on the central peak of Theophilus! Our on site reporter SUG reports that it is pretty cool and should not be missed for any reason!

In my mind's eye I could see the lunar landscape via his words... I "saw" the sun rise over Theophilus and the Altai Mtns and Richie had me hooked.

On June 29, 2009 everything in my astronomy world changed 8^). Hamburg, NY was within an earthly Mare Imbrium or "Sea of Showers". Storm clouds, torrential rain and thunderous lightening advance across Lake Erie and into my backyard. The extended forecast was unforgiving and the Clear Sky Clock was awash in white squares. But Ah, to rescue came forth an astronomical white knight from Nevada with clear skies and a waxing quarter moon above. Richie with his 12.5 Coulter(I think) and I with my lunar charts and up to date printout of the moon with the terminator indicated strewn across my living room floor and Blackberry in hand we journeyed on to our VLO maiden voyage. What fun we had for approximately 2 hours. With Richie's amazing descriptions I was peering directly from the terminator looking in all directions.

Richies's LNF: "Mare Symthii looks like a giant wound on the Luna's eastern shore. "
Another LNF: "There is a pretty sunrise on the Lunar Alps with craters Aristillus/Autolyus begging for attention. He also states the Mare Vaporum with it's eastern adjacent neighbor "Finger Lakes" lunar real estate is a fine sight to behold."

See his post for what we saw: http://sidewalkuniverse.blogspot.com/2009/06/coast-to-coast-lunar-observe.html.

Unfortunately work gets in the way of this great hobby and I had to retire for the evening after midnight.

June 30, 2009 VLO II
Sparks, NV. Clouded in and expecting stormy conditions.
Hamburg, NY Scattered Thunderstorms.
However this was the sky around 7PM as I drove home from work. It was looking very promising for VLO #2 to take place.(For some reason I cant invert the picture)

Around 9PM as you can see from the photo below I was right on the edge of this storm. However the western horizon over Lake Erie looked promising. Tonight it was my turn to be at the scope and provide the people of Sparks, NV with observations of the moon and other celestial gems. By 9:15PM I was ready with the Televue 101, charts, Blackberry and Richie at the other end with his trusty Rukl atlas with the broken binder and other charts ready to guide me in for a lunar landing and await my lunar reports.
Unfortunately the weather degraded quickly and my gear and I had to take cover. Updated report to Richie was that our VLO was on hold but not scrubbed . This called for a Ben&Jerry's ice creme break. Status post one pint of ice creme the weather further deteriorated with dark pink skies to the north over the Canadian shoreline...but to the west an advancing dark abyss. The VLM(virtual lunar mission) was..................scrubbed. Sorry Sparks Nevada. We were all dressed up with no place to go. Oh such sorrow my Nevada cohort.
(I believe Little Richard was enjoying a special meal with his sweetie during all my turmoil)

However, within the hour an important news flash from Sparks, NV reporting that their skies had cleared somewhat and Richie had a visual ID on our target.
As Lewis and Clark may have exclaimed "Moon in View! Oh! the Joy!


Richie took over and began his reports.
First report: I just set up my scope and sunrise by Eratosthenes is awesome!
Then the reports started pouring in:
"Timocharis half lit shores are begging me for more and more!"

"The Straight Wall is no fake wall as it leads you to Hell in the Deslandres rubble which is no bubble!"

"I am Ptolemaeus one of the three I have a very flat floor come look at me.
I am Alphonsus second of three my middle rille springs forth like a tree.
I am Arzachel finale of three were gazelles will jump my terraces to thee."

"Nubium shores echo it's cry "it is dark no more" so my eye can see more and more!"
As you can see Richie is the Astronomical Poet laureate of the Great State of Nevada;

He also directed me to www.lunarrepublic.com which proved quite handy on my Blackberry for identifying lunar targets. An onslaught of rapid fire emailing ensued which was fueled by the fervor of our fascination with the beauty of the moon above us. My skies suddenly cleared for but a moment. Long enough for some lunar photons to pass the 540mm distance of my Televue and dance upon my retina to be carried via the 2nd cranial nerve on to the base of my brain in the cerebral cortex of my occipital lobe, and ultimately to the limbic region where the pleasure of it all is finally realized( I think even Ptolemy postulated on the explanation of vision).

Well with the moon dodging fast moving clouds I needed to transmit some of my own NLORs(Nonsensical Lunar Observing Reports) to the Richster . Here are but a few and they are painful to read:

"Mons pico's shadow extends just short of the terminator. Eratosthenes you are ours with your floor of darkened abyss and blazing western rim . Diamond beacons twinkle forth from craterlets within Ptolemaeus and Alphonsus"

"Oh plato my friend... How sweet your silken floor adorned with a magnificent shadow strewn upon your eastern flank"

O the horror. Where are you crater superstar Plato as you skirt the terminator with your floor of low albedo. I too rest within a Sea of Showers. Holy hot Pitatus I should be at your eastern crater's rim as the darkness recedes. Tycho you hold your ground in spite of being hacked in two by an encroaching terminator edge. Glorious Eratosthenes where art thou?

Getting Ready for contact with Richie while the clouds passed through.:


Well I think it ended after midnight EDT. Given the challenge with the weather I had a blast with my astronomy outreach and observing pal Richie Smith from the Truckee Meadows on the eastern slopes of the Sierras in Nevada.

July 9-10, 2009 VLO III

Stay tuned for more VLO observing fun.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hockey puck, I am sitting here this morning pondering all of have written and I am so moved right now. I feel very fortunate to have shared these moments with you coast to coast. I am floored and honored by your kindness and generosity toward me in your write up. Sometimes things in life are timely and this is for me. By the way you are a much better poet than SUG along the lines of the great 1600-1800 poets.

    Now where did you hide my Rukl with the broken binding?

    ReplyDelete