Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"100 Hours of Astronomy-- Solar SUNday Part II" @ Buffalo Museum of Science__ April 5, 2009











Finally a break in the cloud cover over Western NY just in time for Solar SUNday. It was a bit chilly and breezy up on the roof of the Museum and I conveniently found fellow BAA members Bob and new member Anu to man my solar scope. I took cover on the floor below to man the Solar Info Booth and answer question, hand out astro info, explain the difference between white light filters vs H-alpha and the chromosphere vs the photosphere, and give a quick overview to the visitors what they would be seeing though our safely filtered telescopes.

Its funny that at every event we're asked if it will be safe to look through our scopes at the bright sun. My standard reply is that ever since some kid was blinded years ago we've become much more sensitive to that particular issue and have implemented much greater safeguards with our solar telescopes. You do have an extra eye just in case. Of course we do frequently stress especially to the kids not to observe the sun without proper eye protection. We ended up with 3 scopes with H-alpha filters and one with a white light filter which displayed a perfectly unblemished sun.

We always have one or 2 people who just don't want to look. I just don't get that. Aren't you just a little bit curious what it looks like? Overall we had some great folks with their kids show up for the day. Even on elderly retired teacher was impressed and commended us for doing so much to promote the love of science and astronomy which she knows is sadly missing in our schools today.
I had some great help from fellow BAA member Richard Janas who actually took an astronomy class from Ernst Both at the museum some 50+ years ago along with Cliff Stoll.
www.avertedimagination.com/BAA/IYA_press_release.pdf

Well we had at least 150 or so people make it up to the roof for the solar observing event. I had my traveling astronomy roadshow going on on the 4th floor -- which included a my large screen projector showing of the DVD "Brilliant Noise" -an awesome short movie of amazing solar images to 8-10 different soundtracks. If you haven't seen it check out:
www.semiconductorfilms.com/root/Brilliant_Noise/BNoise.htm

Thanks again to our illustrious outreach leader and club president Alan Friedman (http://www.avertedimagination.com/), and Rich Pason, new member Bill Brown, Rich Fusani, Mark Morgis, new member Anu, Bob Hughes, Rich Janus, and Mike Benz.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, looks like you guys had a very nice event. Your rooftop location with the city in the background is impressive - but not as much as your 60mm Coronado! Your board presentation and table set-up are really well done and totally eye catching! I would have enjoyed being there to look through the scopes and hear the presentations. Sometimes I want to be the guest/visitor!

    With all that was here; quality telescopes - informed staff - free presentations and handouts how could someone not be drawn in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very nice event. I really like doing things at the museum. Its an older museum and like many organization it is in need of significant funding. It's astronomy dept.is essentially non existent now--Our club is basically the astronomy department of which predominately only 2 of us from the club are most active. Although I'm still quite an astronomy rookie I plan I doing more things for the museum. In it's heyday it was the place to be for Science and astronomy programming.

    Most of that material is from Dr. Steele Hill at SOHO. You probably have all of it too. Its great stuff and makes a nice display. I think its time you get a trailer for your traveling astronomy roadshow. I think I need one too. My SUV is packed when we have an event.

    There were some great prominences on the Sun in H-alpha. Thats the nice thing about having the scope. There's still something to look at during this extreme solar minimum plus you can do daytime astronomy.
    The Coronado comes in a nice little black case. My wife gives it curious look every time I carry it out of the house. I've told her I've started to take clarinet lessons!

    I think its time to put a "Help Support the Sidewalk Universe Astronomy Outreach Program" donation box when you go out. All proceeds go to further Astronomy Education!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a local planetarium here in Reno that is in similar condition - maybe worse. In fact it used to have a excellent roll-off roof observatory with a C-14 that I would man several nights per month doing outreach. Well several years ago the University made the decision that they needed a new parking lot so............. they tore down the observatory and put up a parking lot,lot,lot,lot. The planetarium is in major disrepair and is totally uninspiring when you walk in. This situation is really depressing. The board of regents rules! Everything boils down to dollars.

    I really like the idea that you are expanding your horizons with music lessons! I am saving for a clarinet too, a gold colored one about 60mm in size with a similar black case! Maybe I should sell my bass guitar!

    Several have approached me with the idea of donations to my outreach....but I have not seen anything yet. I am a good investment my wife and kids tell me so I will keep plugging along. I just can't bring myself to placing out a jar.

    Dr.Hill has been very supportive to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the planetarium. Probably has happened around the country.

    It would be kinda tough to put out a donation jar for sure. Maybe you could just open up the new coronado case and let them throw the money in there-the equivalent of the open guitar case. It truly would be nice to get some donation just to put the money back into our activites.

    Dr. Hill has been great. has sent me a lot. Just in contact again today and he's sending me another box of goodies!

    I hope your taking music clarinet lessons soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW. Do you have a local astronomy club in Reno or nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have 2 clubs, one in Reno, one in Carson City. I go observing with the Reno group several times a year. Nice people! The Carson group is involved with the Western Nv Community College which 4 years ago put up a really hot observatory with some serious public founding. I was attempting to make a place for myself in doing public outreach but politics arose and I got out before things got to ugly. Also we were told that amateurs would have very limited telescope time.........so help support the observatory and have limited benefits doing so. I was not happy with that prospect. All that said it was then I decided to be my own boss and do my own program. I was very disappointed and many of the local amateurs were too.

    ReplyDelete